Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ready and Waiting

This week has been a whirlwind and it's not even over yet. By the time Friday has been recorded in the history books we'll be moved into the new house. But as of now, we're mostly packed up and mostly ready to go.

The washer & dryer are set to be delivered on Saturday, which are the only major appliances that didn't come with the house. Once the movers have loaded and unloaded, been paid and tipped, we'll make one of many trips to Home Depot. This trip will be to pick up a shower door we intend to install at some point over the weekend. Of course, it's highly likely that we'll be using a shower curtain for a month while we wait for someone to show us how to install it. 

Also on this trip to HD we'll get window treatments--I've never understood this term, as it implies that your windows are in some way ill and need treatment. I prefer to call them window treats, as this seems more fun for the window. Our windows are in need of the treat of privacy, as will we, once we get in there and start walking around naked. Or even just plain ol' walking around. That ought to be our last planned trip to HD, however we're fully aware that it won't be our last actual trip there. 

At this point we still have only a vague idea of where our things will go in the house. We've opted for new couches, as the delicious couch and king chair set we have now are just too big for the living room. I've decided that as yummy as these couches are to lounge upon, I'd prefer to have the living room we're paying mortgage on be the focal point of the living room, rather than the ginormous olive set that would take it over in 2.8 seconds. 

As for our current living arrangements, tomorrow can't come soon enough. Just about everything of worth is in boxes. Coffee. Bagels. Knives. Toaster. Pots & pans. Dishes. Bowls. Kleenex. Envelopes. Shoes. Vitamins. Hats. Visors. Towels. And what's left ends up being all the little things that just haven't deserved a box to this point. A ruler. A few pens. Remote controls. A cat toy. Receipts. A bowl of rocks. Some tools. A stack of papers. Coasters. These are the things that drive me crazy. I'd like to take all these things and throw them in one giant box just to have them out of the way. But we're out of boxes. 

It's just one more day, I keep telling myself. If everything goes to plan we'll get keys tonight and celebrate with a bottle of wine and a picnic on the empty living room floor. After I clean it of course. The place has been empty since July of last year when they finished the remodel. And since then there have been numerous people and couples and kids and families walking in and out of this room and that, seeing if our house was right for them. My Monica traits come screaming out when I think about that. If it weren't for the place being locked right this very minute, I'd be over there swiffing the floors, wiping the counters, cloroxing bathrooms and dusting the sills--maybe even treating them. And in the meantime I will try to keep my cool. Maybe I'll go buy a box.

I love having gone through this experience of buying a home. It's something I think everyone should go through. The growth that happens when you're forced to follow someone else's timeline is substantial. It's caused me to be curious in ways I wouldn't know to be otherwise: What's the difference between 5.25% and 5.125%? How long will it take to bolt the building onto the foundation so we can move in? What, exactly, is escrow? This whole process stretches me to be more flexible than I ever imagined I could be. And now I get to go through the experience of actually owning a home. And the I wonder...

What growth will this will bring?

1 comment:

  1. My floors are screaming to be cleaned if you can't get rid of your clean fix.

    Congratulations....exciting times.

    I am looking forward to seeing your new home.

    ReplyDelete