Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Catch Up

I've been hunkering down the past couple of weeks and really been getting some good writing done. Which also means I've been MIA, aside from the few excerpts (which have been the result of said hunkering), and the election posts from last week (which have been the result of not being able to ignore any of it).

I'm not usually a political person. Which isn't to say that I don't follow politics, I just don't talk about it all that much. My family was big on keeping opinions quiet when it didn't suit the surrounding company (and if I wasn't sure what they thought, even better to shut my pie hole about it). I'm comfortable talking about politics with my friends because most of them have a pretty similar line to mine. And when we disagree, I get all clammy and uncomfortable. Thanks, mom. 

So I'm breaking out of that, little by little. First I learned how to tell my father I was a lesbian, and next thing you know I'm marching down the street in Long Beach protesting the civil rights of gays and lesbians across the land. Sure, it took 9 years, but slow progress is progress, nonetheless.

Of course, this doesn't mean I've become an activist, by any means...simply that when I feel strongly about what I believe in, not only is it okay for me to have an opinion about it, it's also acceptable to voice that opinion. And it's okay to talk to people about those opinions, even if their view is (gulp) different from mine. It's a lovely country we live in, this United States of America. I just wish we were a little more United. 

In other news, I'm going on vacation. San Francisco calls. Flying into SF, then driving back via rental hooptie, so as not to destroy our own vehicles. Not exactly sure how long it will take us, but we have the whole week to decide. Planned stops are in SF (mainly because that's where we fly into), Santa Cruz (because I want to go to the arcade on the boardwalk), and some sort of wine tasting in Paso Robles ("tasting"). Other than that, we're playing it by ear.

So far we've gotten a few suggestions as to stops: Cambria (about 20 mins from Hearst Castle), The Phoenix Hotel (SF's world renowned "rock n roll hotel"), and The Madonna Inn (San Luis Obispo). Any others?

We've also taken to the idea of rescuing a pup. 25-40lbs at adulthood would be ideal. We're entertaining the idea of puggles, mutts, and other mixes that won't terrorize the kids. So far we've learned that puggles can be a bit hyper and yippee (which would irritate me more than the kids), so that's working as 2 strikes against the cute little buggers. We're definitely intent on getting a rescue, as well as the rescue being a pup. I'd like to train the pup myself how to poop on the carpet and pee on the couches. 

That about catches us up. So how are you?

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that Pugs are awesome dogs. You could get a 20 pounder. They are very cute and sweet and snort a lot which not only gives you something to hug, but something to ridicule as well! Research tells us that Pug owners are the smartest, most fun, and most attractive people around. Owning one would just secure your status in this regard, as it has for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll surely keep this in mind, "Anonymous". I'm looking forward to reading up on all the research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go to half moon bay. There is a great golf course on the water next to the Ritz Carlton there. Wine tasting in Paso is great for red lovers. Go to morrow bay and see the rock. SLO is also a nice wine country. If you are going to be in SF, a short 45 minute drive to Napa would be nice. If you do that, check out Elizabeth Spenser wines. Good Stuff. Also, a rescue dog is a must.

    As for me...I went to Mexico on a cruise, San Diego and just got back from Spokane for a visit. Soon I wiill be going to Sedona. Then, back to Mexico. :)

    Thank you for the blogs...I need to get back to writing. Guess I am being a slacker lately.

    Hope to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cambria is breathtaking...we stopped there on the way back in August for a night and got a room last minute really easy. that was a week night, so winging it was pretty safe. highway 46 from the 101 is great, you won't forget it! I've been inspired to do my own blog these days, but it's a photo blog. I've realized I have so many great "moments" that must be blogged. I'm getting it together slowly, let you know when it's up. cheers and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete